Everyone knows that coffee, tea, soda, and tobacco stain your teeth. It is also common knowledge that candies, sugar, and other junk foods can lead to cavities and tooth decay. What are some foods that people can eat to improve their dental health though? There are plenty of gums that claim to be whitening or protect against cavities, but a big part of our oral health has to do with the foods we eat throughout the day. Next time you go to the grocery store, grab the items on this list to make sure you are treating your teeth to the best food options for your health!
1. Dairy like cheese and yogurt are great for your teeth! There is bone strengthening calcium found in dairy products that help your teeth remain strong and healthy. Cheese has also been found to lower the Ph levels in your mouth. High Ph can lead to tooth decay. The good bacteria in yogurt, called probiotics, also fight against gum disease by clearing out the infection causing bacteria that can linger.
2. Leafy Greens such as spinach, kale, and collards are high in calcium, vitamins, and folic acid. These veggies also have almost no calories and fight gum disease in women that are pregnant. Many people love to start their day with greens smoothies or have a spinach salad for lunch for a great mid-day energy boost!
3. Apples are one of the best fruits that you can eat because they are low in sugar and high in fiber. Apples also cause saliva production to increase while chewing so that bacteria is washed away better. Apple skins can stimulate the gums and help to remove plaque and food debris from teeth.
4. Almonds may get stuck in your teeth so make sure you floss after eating them, but almonds are a tasty source of protein and calcium which will ensure great bone health for your teeth and strengthen the tooth enamel. A great way to add almonds to your diet is to throw a handful on top of your greens salad at lunch or eat a handful of roasted almonds with a cheese stick for a savory late afternoon snack.
5. Carrots are not just good for your eyesight, they are excellent for your oral health as well. They are saliva producing like apples, and are also high in vitamin A and fiber. Carrots are great roasted with other veggies or grated on top of a kale salad.
These five great foods for oral health should be readily available at any grocery store near you. Talk to your Burke, VA family dentist about your oral health and eating habits at your next appointment. Burke Parkway Dental can be reached at (703) 459-9495, we look forward to hearing from you!